Project, Research

Fall Out Coin 2: Electric Boogaloo

After running into problems with my first attempt to print the Fall Out Coin, I decided to  print via USB again but NOT let the computer lock. This time the coin got 40% of the way through before randomly stopping for no apparent reason…WHY IS EVERYTHING SO HARD?????

My first three prints

I grabbed my micro SD card from my Raspberry Pi (it was laying dormant and unused), and tried to put it in the printer; it inserted without any problems. I compared the shape and size of both cards and I cannot for the life of me figure out why one will insert and the other will not.

I decided to load files onto the Raspberry Pi’s SD card and use that. Hopefully I can make one of these coins within the next few hours so I can give it to my friend since she’s giving me a ride to and from the dentist and is basically my hero.

BRENDA, you had better appreciate the amount of hours I am putting into printing this for you. 

Little known fact: Haruka was my first anime hero growing up ๐ŸŒˆ

For some reason I decided using my fingernail to scrape the failed print from the bed was a good idea and I ended up stabbing myself under my thumb nail with a large chunk of plastic. So if everyone’s keeping count I have been cut 4 times since I got this printer a few days ago, and I am fairly certain this will not be my last time. ๐Ÿ˜ฟ

I started using a little spatula from a kit and I have had no more stabbing incidents! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ

After backing up the Raspberry Pi SD card’s image I saved the gcode print file to it so I can get back on track with printing. Unfortunately, the printer said the SD card was blank.

It might have been a format issue, so I went back to the PC and did a quick format to clean it off and resave the gcode file. After a few seconds I was back in action….but the SD card came up empty again. Great. This is an error I’ve seen pop up a lot on the internet, so hopefully there is good documentation to fix it.

Sounds like something called “OctoPrint” is a web user interface for printing that can be installed on a Raspberry Pi, but I really don’t feel like messing with all that right now, so that’ll be aย future post.

For now I’m going to load the cat.gcode back on this new SD card and make sure it’s not corrupt gcode files that Cura is making that is causing all this grief. If that doesn’t work I’ll try the suggestions from a forum post I found.

I’m not very optimistic tbh

And that failed! So let’s start knocking out some options:

  • Tried the SD Card Formatter instead of the stock Windows formatter
  • Tried unplugging and replugging while printer is on
  • Tried unplugging and replugging while printer is off
And I’ve had juuuuust about enough of this

After a bit more reading it sounds like the SD card I’m using might be too high capacity (it’s 32gb because it had the retropie image on it), so my choices are:

  1. Order a new micro SD card (which is dicey because most SD cards are not small enough or might not function properly anyway)
  2. Set up OctoPrint on my raspberry pi (if you have this printer, you really should do this)
  3. Return this printer for something that doesn’t have all these issues

I think for now I will order a new micro SD card and set up OctoPrint while I wait for the card to come in. I am extremely lucky that I have an unused Rpi3 already set to go with all the bells and whistles.

My first lucky break this entire project

Honestly right now I would never recommend this printer to someone who doesn’t have the interest in tinkering with it to get it to function. Especially since it sounds like the SD card reading issue is very common. If you can’t set up a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint (about a $70 investment) then this printer is not worth it.

The smoosh is displeased

I mean, unless you want to leave the original SD card alone and never touch it and just print the same gd lucky cat over and over again. Then more power to you!

Although it is a pretty sweet cat

Leave a Reply