3D Printing, Project, Research

Setting Up Cura and Virtual Machines on Ubuntu

Since I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 now, I need to set up Cura on this OS so I can print without having to reboot into Windows. Ubuntu Software has Cura, but it is not the latest version (4.0 is out as of March 2019). Not only does this earlier version not have my printer in it by default, it also doesn’t have the ability to install the Octoprint plugin.

So I won’t be using that then

So instead I downloaded the Cura 4.0 App Image for Linux 64 bit . In order to open it, I had to use my chmod u+x command on the file to make it executable. Since this program isn’t installed in a normal way, it doesn’t appear in my apps, so I moved it to my desktop and renamed it “Ultimaker Cura 4.0”.

I’m currently printing a bust of Lenin for my friend that got me started in all this crazy 3D printing in the first place!

I also remembered I need to have access to Power BI Gateway to refresh some files, but unfortunately this is not supported on Linux. So out of convenience, I’m going to set up a virtual machine to run Windows 10. And while I’m at it, I’m going to set up my Mac Sierra OS and Windows XP OS that I had running on my Windows 10 machine just to be well rounded.

I’ll never need to leave Linux again!

One tricky thing I encountered was figuring out how to share my external hard drives and other folders with my virtual environments, but luckily I found this handy guide. I also installed Go West: The Homesteader’s Challenge on my Windows XP environment because I’m a 33 year old who loves to revisit her childhood games.

I’m gonna be a successful business woman by the early 1900s or die trying!
Look at this ragtag crew!

So after a few years of planting and harvesting crops, I turned my attention back to reality. I’m going to install Chrome OS since why not.

It’s like Pokemon, but with operating systems and honestly I don’t even know why I am doing what I’m doing

I also finished the Lenin print for my friend, and the support plastic broke away easily. I used the raft support for the base of the print and a zigzag support structure for the rest of it.

One big chunk of support plastic, what a pretty sight

My first attempt at printing I ended up with a clogged nozzle. To fix, I retracted the plastic and chopped off about 6 inches or so and then fed it back into the printer while it was hot. Eventually the clogged plastic was pushed through and I was able to retry the print. The next attempt ran for about 15 hours, but didn’t run into any other issues.

Definitely the most solid print I’ve made so far, turned out pretty decent!

Now that I’ve got my PC back under control, I’m really excited to finish my python project ideas. After that, I’ll have time to get back into photography, photoshop, and 3D printing! My lady and I just got season memberships to Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park and I’m really excited to take a bunch of pictures!

My longest timelapse to date

AND once the weather gets a little nicer, it’ll be time to take Smooshy out for some walks!

She loves her walks! <3

Leave a Reply